Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Observations: Figure/Ground



Junction Skatepark Logo
My friend Roger designed this logo for a local skateboard park in Western Ma. I've always really enjoyed this logo. The negative space create a silo of a skateboard truck and wheel.  


NCAYV Logo
This is one of my favorite logos. I love the arrangement of the two rectangles to create such a dynamic composition. It's just the right balance and arrangement with foreground and background elements.
Client: It was a White House initiative to educate parents about teenage violence.  
Description: The urgent nature of the anit-vioence campaign is suggested in the logo through two bold images: a dove and upraised hand, reversed-out of two rectangular shapes in red-orange and black. Designed to look as if it were hastily cut out of paper, the logo recalls the visual power of protest posters from the 1950s and 1960s.



The Mattress Factory Logo
I really like the play of the black F against the white background form, which is just the reversed form in white. I definately toggle back and forth between the two elements. It's interesting that the white upside down F is the most contrasty element against the background but I am immediately drawn to the Bold Red M. It's very powerful against the black.
Client: A contemporary Art Museum.
Description: Just as the museum's art is characterized by it's flexible, interactive qualities, so the museum's logo encourages viewer participation.



Call for Entries-Paul Rand
Such an inspirational piece for me. Paul Rand is one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment