Saturday, September 29, 2012

Project: Rhythm



1. Describe the rhythmic concept behind your image selection and the overall sequence of the book from start to finish.
The rhythmic concept for my book was based on angles. I used each panel and it's lines to connect to one another. I also integrated the text to follow these lines throughout the book. The subject matter was skateboarding and I think the angles helped show the dynamic nature of the sport.

2. How did working with found/accidental imagery challenge your perceptions of cropping and composition?
I think it was interesting to discover the unexpected compositions. It was like putting a puzzle together and just trying to find the right pieces. I also really enjoyed trying to get a collective composition that felt right as a whole. It was nice spreading out all the pieces and then mix and matching them together.

3. Discuss the layering process of found type with your own typography and the overall hierarchy created in the end.
It was interesting figuring out how to break up the paragraph. My thought process was to just make it easily digestible to the reader and to break it up into somewhat balanced pieces. I also looked at key indicators of line breaks(commas,hyphens, etc..). As far as scale and hierarchy, I essentially just tried emphasizing the most important words, or what I thought to be the most important to the messenging. The words with the most meat on the bones is what I focused on.

4. How did you engage the grid in this smaller, more editorial layout?
I actually didn't use it much...reason being, the strong angles created they're own type of grid. So I used that to align type and dictate where it lived on the page. I think if I were to revisit this though...I would use more of the inset type imagery(2 extra squares we had to fit in) and play with the underlying grid a bit more. It could have held things together a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment